The EOTech 512 A65 offers unique features and plenty of customization, making it the most popular sight from this manufacturer. It is perfect for anyone interested in speed during close-quarters combat yet who does not require night vision. It uses advanced holographic technology; a laser illuminates a holographic pattern nested inside the HUD. The shooter places the virtual image on the reticle directly over the target, boosting accuracy, providing better control, and facilitating quick target acquisition.
Product Features and Requirements
The EOTech 512.A65 requires two AA batteries, which provide up to 600 continuous hours of illumination with alkaline, or up to 1000 hours with lithium batteries. It comes with a 65 MOA circle reticle and 1 MOA aiming dot. It is compatible with 1-inch Weaver or Picatinny rails, and it provides 20 brightness settings. This sight is built to last with its tool-free knobbed mounting bolt and sturdy aluminum hood, and all of the electronic parts are fully sealed in a resin compound, which absorbs shocks while locking out moisture and static electricity.
- Parallax-free transmission holography optics
- 1x magnification
- Unlimited eye relief
- Submersible up to 10 feet
- Fog-proof internal optics
- 5 MOA adjustment per click
- +/- 40 MOA travel
- Anti-glare coating
- 2″ by 0.85″ window size
- 1/8″ solid glass front window; 3/16″ shatter-resistant laminate rear window
- 30 yards @ 100 yards at 4 inches eye relief field of view
- 110,000:1 brightness adjustment
- Reticle flashes on startup for battery checks
- Shuts down automatically after eight hours but is programmable to four
- Weighs 10.9 ounces
- Dimensions (WxHxD) are 5.4 by 2.25 by 2 inches
EOTech 512 A65 Gallery
- The unique, high-tech holographic design is perfect for shooting with both eyes open.
- Fast 60 MOA circle speeds up target acquisition.
- A simple mounting system offers time saving convenience.
- The protective hood for optics keeps them in prime condition.
- The center dot remains true when magnified.
- The sight still functions with a broken or cracked screen.
- Includes the Allen wrench needed for mounting.
- The sight provides excellent grouping at distances up to and even beyond 50 yards.
- Stays true to zero after thousands of rounds.
- When used in hot weather, there is a chance that the AA batteries will leak and cause the sight to malfunction.
- The holographs have very little definition and appear grainy – especially when magnified.
- The product does not come with protective lens covers.
- The sight has a significant price tag.
Overall, consumers are happy with the EOTech 512.A65. They compare it to a similar product offered by Aimpoint, another big name in holographic sights. Experts were concerned with the 1 MOA differential when removing and later replacing the sight, claiming a difference of a single inch at a range of 100 yards, though they did mention that this is much better than the 20 MOA differential on other sights. What’s more, users can remove the EOTech 512.A65 and still maintain that 1 MOA differential, and this proved helpful to those who swapped sights frequently. One user reported he could shoot groups at 50 yards with the holes in the paper touching each other consistently.
The concerns and complaints with this sight are negligible, and only a handful of users reported negative experiences. One concern among owners is the battery life; they claim that even lithium batteries do not last the full 1000 as claimed by the manufacturer. However, users report they last about 800 hours, which is normal when considering factors like climate. Finally, some owners say that the EOTech holographic sight takes up more rail space than comparable models.
Although the EOTech 512.A65 comes with a hefty price tag, this top quality product fares very well among owners of AR-15s and other assault rifles and even shotguns, especially if they need quick target acquisition and speed. The only real cons are the fuzzy, pixelated holographs, which seem to worsen for those who wear corrective lenses, but most users claimed that increasing or decreasing the brightness helped sharpen the image immensely. For the money, it is a solid purchase and one that lasts a lifetime when storing the sight properly.